Security guards are your best bet when you need to upgrade your home or business security. Most people are particular about the security guards they hire. It is especially so since the guards will have access to their homes or business premises. Read this guide for some tips on how to hire security guards.
Security guards provide a wide array of services. As such, you should conduct a slight evaluation to determine the services that you require. For instance:
- Homeowners will require security guards to conduct regular perimeter patrols and provide emergency response services in case of an accident at home.
- Business owners will want security guards to screen and welcome customers into the premises.
- Financial institutions may require highly skilled guards that can handle small arms, conduct dog patrols, provide security during cash transit and repair and maintain sophisticated security devices.
- VIPs will be looking for bodyguards to enhance their personal safety.
Check the internet or seek referrals to identify security firms that provide the services that you require. It would be wise to conduct some background research to ascertain the quality of services offered by the security firm. Internet reviews on social media can be a good starting point. As a rule, you should avoid companies with numerous negative reviews regardless of how cheap their services could be. Preferably, conduct a short interview to understand the company's services. Below are a few questions to ask:
- Do the guards have adequate training? Other than the standard security guard training, reputable companies will train their personnel on how to conduct security audits, provide emergency services and identify and neutralise threats.
- What is the experience of the guards? It is a vital concern if the guards will handle complex tasks such as VIP security or transporting valuable items. Some firms will employ former police and army officers to increase customer confidence.
- Does the company conduct background checks? It would be unfortunate if the guards are affiliated to criminal organisations.
You should also examine the company's terms and conditions. For instance, how long are the guard's shifts? If the shifts are too long, the guards may be unable to provide quality services due to fatigue. Check the company's liability policy. For example, you should receive some compensation if you incur losses due to the guard's negligence. Security guards work in dangerous environments. As such, all the guards should have insurance coverage.
When hiring security guards, determine the services that you need, identify reputable security companies in your area, conduct a short interview and examine the company's terms.